Following the Failsafe elimination diet. Two parents, three boys, one Thermomix, four weeks. What will the result be?

Tuesday 1 April 2014

Recipe Review - Chicken & Pesto Pasta

As part of a regular blog post series I'm going to start reviewing some of the Failsafe recipes I find around the place. I'll let you know how they went, what the family thought of them, how difficult/easy/time consuming they were and any changes I did make or would make next time.

First up is Domestic Diva's Pesto Chicken in the Varoma.

What I changed from the original:

In an effort to save washing up I added more water to the bowl when steaming the chicken (about 1kg, I didn't measure) and then at the end of the 20 minutes steaming, added the pasta to the remaining water in the TMX bowl and cooked on Varoma, 8min, Rev, Sp Soft. This was a bad move as there wasn't enough water left so we ended up with very gluggy pasta.
To salvage the pasta I scooped out the less gluggy stuff from the top and mixed it together with cream and chicken in the Thermoserver.

I used 500g chicken and 300g spiral pasta and it was enough for all of us, plus Mr Failsafe and Master 6 to have two serves each. There is also a small serve of leftovers in the fridge.

What I'd do differently next time:

Next time instead of cooking the pasta in the water underneath the chicken I will cook as per instructions and then once the chicken is cooked through I will put it and the cream in the Thermoserver. While that is keeping warm I'd cook pasta in the TMX as per instructions in the EDC.

What the family said:
It was a big hit!!! It was all eaten without even a thought of getting a photo, sorry!
Mr Failsafe and I loved it, I wasn't expecting to get so much flavour from celery! It felt like a very grown up dinner, but one that the kids loved too.
Mr Failsafe and Master 6 had two serves each, Master 2 ate his whole bowl and Master 5, who is notoriously fussy at dinner time, especially with pasta, ate the whole thing! He cleaned his bowl!!! Very exciting Mummy and Daddy moment!


No comments:

Post a Comment